Friday, June 7, 2013

Why You Should Start Planning When You Are Young- A True Story

This is a guest post from Renee Eder, Director of Public Relations at The Law Firm of Evan H. Farr, P.C. You, too, can submit a guest post. Find out more here.

Terry was 47-years old, married and had a son from a previous marriage. He was one of those people who you could talk to about anything and feel good after you do. Everyone liked him. He was more than just our handyman; he was our friend and an honorary family member.

We live in a 1960’s home, where everything needs updating. Each year, we would tackle one big project, as we are in our late 30’s ourselves, with two children, and money can be tight. Some handymen come into your house, do a nice job, get paid, and leave. During the many hours Terry worked, we would chat about anything and everything. He got to know us and our kids well and we loved him.

I was walking my dogs two days ago, when I saw Terry working next door. We chatted about how he would come at the end of the week to work in my kitchen and made small talk about the kids and the weather. The next day, I saw ambulances and fire trucks and an EMT with two paddles trying to save his life. He died of a massive heart attack at 5:15 p.m. and left everyone who loved him shocked and heartbroken. As far as I know, Terry’s wife had no estate planning in place. With the unexpected loss of her beloved husband, in addition to grieving, she will most likely have to go through the painful process of probate.

I learn a lot working at the Farr Law Firm. Besides non-stop crying, the first thing I did the morning after Terry died was check on my own documents to make sure they are in place. When something like this happens, you begin to question your own mortality. I cannot put my husband and children through what Terry’s wife will likely go through in the not so distant future.

If you are young like me (in your 30’s, 40’s, or 50’s…or even 20’s), I suggest you read our recent article, Elder Law- It’s Not Just for Elders. Then, call The Fairfax Estate Planning Law Firm of Evan H. Farr, P.C. at 703-691-1888 and make an appointment for a no-cost consultation. You will be glad you did.













No comments:

Post a Comment